The Benefits of Adding an Addition for More Space Instead of Buying a New Home
From outdated designs to cramped quarters, and poorly flowing floor plans to nonexistent storage, there are so many reasons why homeowners decide to move—especially as they transition into a new life phase. But more often than not, there are a lot of pros to a property, like a great neighbourhood, a short commute, good local schools, and proximity to family and friends (not to mention the years of memories) that make it difficult to leave.
That’s usually when homeowners reach out to the Georgian Design Build team to find out if building an addition to their much-loved space would make more sense. And our answer is almost always a resounding “YES!” because with enough creativity and planning, it’s always possible to create your dream home right where you are.
Aside from getting the chance to reimagine your home into exactly what your family needs, there are other great benefits to choosing to build an addition.
1. Stay in a Neighbourhood You Love. You might be able to move your belongings into the “perfect” house somewhere else, but you can’t move your neighbourhood. If the community you’re in is a perfect fit, it makes sense to stay right where you are!
2. Increase Your Property Value. A well-thought-out addition—especially if it includes a new kitchen or bathrooms— is certain to increase the overall value of your property if you’re thinking of selling later on.
3. Maximize Your Current Space. An addition gives you the opportunity to take a good, hard look at your home’s original footprint and see how you can make improvements. For example, if you’re moving your kitchen into the new space, you’ll now have square footage available to create a larger laundry area, mudroom, bathroom, or even more storage depending on your family’s pain points.
4. Create a Legacy Home. Quality craftsmanship and thoughtful expansion to your home’s footprint will set the stage for a space that your family can enjoy for generations to come.
5. A Stress-Saving Option. With a continued housing shortage hitting Canada, competing for a new home right now is the last thing anyone wants to take on. However, with stable interest rates and the support of a reputable design-build firm, like Georgian, building an addition can dramatically reduce the stress associated with searching for a home with all of the features to meet your unique needs.
6. Your House, But Better. A talented design team like ours will make sure that any new addition seamlessly integrates with your existing home, both inside and out, to help it live up to its fullest potential.
At Georgian, we do everything we can to give our clients everything they need to make informed decisions about their renovation project from the initial consultation to the final reveal. Our signature Feasibility Study helps homeowners push through the initial fear of taking on a large project by providing the exact cost, detailed design, and accurate timeline—no surprises needed.
We understand that your home is a deeply personal space for your family, which is why we promise to deliver an unparalleled experience with the best craftsmanship, clear communication, a guaranteed fixed price, and a five-year warranty on all completed work. That’s the Georgian promise, and we’re sticking to it! Ready to expand your space? Explore your options for a home addition by booking a consultation with our team today!