Why Do Homeowners Decide To Renovate?
Research shows that home improvements are on the rise. More and more people are choosing to stay in their current home and renovate.
According to a recent survey, Fifty-three percent of homeowners say they will remodel in the next one to two years and twenty-two percent said they are considering a home remodel in the future.
There are many reasons homeowners decide to renovate;
- To increase the value of their home investment.
- Skyrocketing home prices are playing a major role in forcing homeowners to remain in their current homes. What they can afford to buy isn’t necessarily bigger or better making them rethink there current situation.
- The costs associated with moving; land transfer tax, HST, legal fees are high…so people are saying, ‘Let’s put that money toward a remodel and stay put.’”
- Families may be growing and more space is needed.
- Many homes are just tired and outdated; no longer function in relation to the needs of the family.
With all of the resources available today, countless home renovating and decorating shows, home and design magazines and social media websites, homeowners realize that the spaces in their home they are not happy with, can be transformed. They don’t have to move in order to have the home of their dreams.
A renovation can be scary…we have all heard the horror stories, but as a homeowner it is your responsibility to do your due diligence and research ALL the contractors that you may be considering for your renovation.
It is imperative that they have;
- A good reputation, customer testimonials, referrals, people you can talk too.
- A Valid Business License
- Liability Insurance
- Legal Contract
Most importantly, you need to feel that you can trust them.
POSTED: March 25, 2015
Lisa Maida, Designer